Saturday, May 14, 2011

It's Here!

OK, so after months of waiting the final (almost) pieces of the XJS project have arrived. I ordered the Plus Torque kit from Roger Bywater. It arrived at work yesterday and I have finally had time to open it today. I am extremely pleased with the quality of the workmanship amoung other things. Although I haven't installed the parts yet, the package arrived unscathed after a long overseas holiday (England, Germany, the Deep south, Hawaii, Sydney, Melbourne).

Just going to post some picutres of the parts I have below.
 Although not all that exciting, this small piece of equipment is my new ECU. Reprogrammed by AJ6 it will adapt my Jag to its new inlet manifolds and increased intake abilities. This is the cream on the cake!
 What AJ6 have done it to take the standard inlet manifold and cut it in half. Once open that add these trumpets into each intake runner to provide a 'ramming' effect therefore increase air intake and ultimately the torque of this motor.
 Another shot of the intake trumpets.
 Obviously this is photo of the new throttle body mounted to the new intakes. Bigger diameter, this modification completes the reengineered intake which will produce better torque and power once installed.
 New air intakes with addition inlet as you can see from the photo. Providing an increase to the total cfm of the intake, this remanufactured piece also permits a cold air intake.
This is the project. Fresh into the garage and ready to repair. While not in bad condition it needs new suspension bushing and a brake rebuild. I am purely playing with the motor because I can! I am hoping to have it on the road ready for summer 2012. I have almost finished setting up the shed (see Procrastination) and once done will move the beast in. Plenty of cold days and nights listening to the football cursing and spilling blood. What a hobby!

Stu

4 comments:

  1. I can sympathise this these obsessions, great project I like the AJ6 upgrade I was thinking of adding it to my XJS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would certainly recommend it. I am in the process of building a second XJS and on this car I am not going to update anything. I am going to be interested to see the difference in how the car drives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be at least 6months before my car is ready for rego. I have started with the suspension both ends completely rebuilt, next year will be the engine and drive train. My blog is on Facebook if you are interested, I am happy to share ideas, I have a few hair brained ideas.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stuart,
    I would be interested in how the AJ6 kit goes.
    As you maybe aware, I make big bore butterflys with radiused edges for for the XJS, and big bore air boxes with custom air filters (bit like K&N) but half the price. I found these mods improved throttle response. I also make up big bore 2-1/2 inch full exhaust system with a helmholtz resonator (no muffler required) and that also made a good improvement.

    Also retarding ignition 3 degrees allows my V12 with 12:1 comp pistons run on 91 octane.

    I have a AJ6 ECU but felt it was not much better as it reduce fuel milage.

    Like I said, be interested in your reports.

    Steve Burrows.

    ReplyDelete